Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

February 4, 2021 at 6:45 am

First, for some reason the App version of today’s text is not up yet. This is why I encourage you to signup at Seedbed.com for the email version, which usually is sent out at 5:30am each day.

Today’s text is a practical how to for Following Jesus: from glancing to gazing (Hebrews 12:1-2). The text admonishes us to throw off everything that hinders us and the sin that so easily entangles us; to run the race set before us; and to fix our eyes on Jesus. If you have not done this in your life, then this is where you start. We just completed a thirty day study that identify the major obstacles (hindrances and sins) to growing our spiritually.

If you have been working with the Holy Spirit on these, you have probably already moved from knowledge to knowing and from glancing to gazing, but there is always a next step for us on this journey no matter how far along you are. The first steps are obvious and plainly outlined for us in the scriptures. The next steps for those who have been on the journey for awhile are not so obvious. They usually are accompanied by an “epiphany” or as a result of some crisis of faith.

As I reflect on the question, “what might fixing your eyes on Jesus require of you,” I think of the distractions that compete for my attention. The pandemic and the division in our country and the Church are major distractions for me in running the course set for me with my gaze fixed on Jesus. For me the answer is not blinders, but focus. I need to be aware, but not distracted. I need to be disciplined, but realize that the next steps may involve doing less not more. If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging and listen to wise counsel. I need to look for my next steps in the midst of all of this. Come Holy Spirit and speak, your servant is listening.