Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

February 7, 2021 at 6:50 am

How we think and see determines how we react or respond to everything. If we can change the way we view or see, we can change how we act. Seeing people as persons (made in the image of God) rather than objects or obstacles requires a change of mind and heart that only Jesus can provide. If we conform our minds to His, then we will think and see persons as He does. That is the goal, but getting there takes surrender and practice.

I mostly see people as obstacles. They are in my way; they got my parking spot; they are in line ahead of me and can’t find their credit card or don’t know how to work the machine; they are in the fast lane going the speed limit and won’t pull over; they are different from me or think differently from me, and the list goes on. I find that I have to make a conscious decision to see them as persons, to see them as Jesus would see them. One way that I do this is to try to think about what their story might be.

I think another takeaway from today’s text is how we see Jesus. The person who saw Jesus said, I know who you are—the Holy One of God!” If you read the rest of the story (24-28), you will find that an unclean spirit living in the man was the one who saw Jesus and Jesus rebuked him and cast him out. Maybe the way we think about and see Jesus determines how we see others. Do you see Jesus as a righteous judge or loving Brother or both?