Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

February 19, 2021 at 6:49 am

This text (Psalm 38) and JD’s reflection is good counsel (a counterinsurgency Manuel) for living in the gap between dust to dust and an appropriate focus for this season of repentance (Lent). The good news is, “When we place our faith in Jesus Christ as Savior, we are saved from the penalty of sin. In other words, any sin on the ledger of our lives—past, present, and future—is cancelled.” The bad news is our struggle with sin is not over. The power of “cancelled sin” lives on in our flesh. It just goes underground and attacks us with roadside bombs. As JD says, “The greatest impediment to our believing the gospel beyond mere assent to its truth is the sin believers continue to carry within them.”

How do we get rid of these counter insurgents. The remedy is revealed in verse 18, “So I confess iniquity; I’m troubled by my sin.” Maybe instead of penitence (giving up something for Lent) what we need to do is confess our canceled sins. Own up to them and ask God to cleanse us of these remaining hidden sins that rob us of the joy of our salvation. What troubles you about your behavior?

I don’t know about you, but I have already confessed and dealt with the big sins in my life. My Holy discontent is with anger and impatience. They are root causes of my not fully reaching the goal of Christlikeness. I have tried “anger management” that does not work. What I sense I need is a closer relationship with Christ and the Holy Spirit. Maybe that is my focus for Lent. What about you?