Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

February 25, 2021 at 5:11 am

Thank the Lord I do not suffer from clinical depression or anxiety, but I have experienced depression and anxiety many times in my lifetime. The most vivid in my memory was the loss of my Mother and my first wife of 45 years all in the same year. However, these times do not come close to one third of my life. So far, I have led a charmed or what I prefer to call a blessed life. As a spiritual friend says, I am too blessed to be depressed or distressed.

I often ask, why me? Why have I been so blessed? I know it is not because of me. It is all God’s Grace and because of circumstances that I had nothing to do with. Having said that, I do believe that some of my blessings are a result of wise choices, but I give God the praise for that too. The Holy Spirit has guided my steps every since I accepted Christ. I can’t think of a major decision that I have made that was not rooted in prayer and seeking God’s Will. When you align your life with God’s Will you will be blessed regardless of your circumstances or the situation. Our blessings are not defined by our circumstances or the situation.

The counterintuitive practice of lament is a helpful spiritual practice. We don’t like to dwell on the negative and our culture promotes optimism. However, I find it helpful to talk the hard times out and to look for silver linings. I usually do this in my daily journal in much the same way as the psalmist. I also seek out close spiritual friends that won’t try to fix me or the situation. What’s been your experience?