Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

February 27, 2021 at 6:50 am

Wow, why in the world would Seedbed pick this Psalm and the topic of mass killings for a Lenten reading. Actually, it is very appropriate and timely. Lent is a season of repentance before a time of God’s judgment. God’s Divine judgment is a reality wether we like it or not. A full explanation of why I feel this appropriate is beyond the scope of this forum, but let me know if you want to dig deeper.

No, I have not had to deal with the imprecatory (invoking judgment) Psalms, but anyone who has taught or witnessed to God’s amazing Grace and Love has been confronted with mass killings in the Bible starting with the Flood and ending with the Amalekites in 1 Samuel 15. You can’t ignore these scriptures. They are there for a reason.

I have always dealt with these apparent contradictions in terms of God’s character by saying God’s ways are not our ways and we only see dimly now, but when He comes again we will see clearly. I hope you took the time to read Julie Tennent’s article. It provides us with some better lenses to view these hard passages. Bottom line for me is that God is a righteous Judge and loving Father; His Divine Judgment is real and fair; He provides time for repentance; He sends witnesses to warn us; and in His Grace and Mercy He provides a means of salvation through faith in Jesus Christ.