Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

February 28, 2021 at 6:08 am

I am beginning to really like these imprecatory Psalms. “Is there anyone in your life you would like to call down fire on?” Are you kidding me! I could go on and on about who and what I would like to have God vaporize. I won’t name names, but those who know me well know who I am talking about because I have sung a few imprecatory Psalms myself. But that is not the point of today’s text.

The first point is that it is not my place to avenge or call down fire on my enemies or the evil I see in the world. My role is to pray for my enemies and to shine the light (truth) of Christ on injustice, and to act justly myself; love kindness and mercy; and walk humbly with my God (Micah 6:8). God has judged and will bring wrath His wrath down on evil and the enemies of God in the fullness of time. In the meantime, “My strength, I’ll watch and wait for You, my fortress and my rock (Verse 9).

The second point, and I could be wrong about this, is that it’s ok and even healthy for us to call out evil and invoke God’s judgment on evil people and injustices in the world when we pray/sing/talk to God. It gives us an outlet for the anger that burns in us. My problem is that I tend to do this with others or in public, which can be harmful or even insight someone to act on their anger, which is a sin. Lord help me to share my lament and my anger with you alone.