Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

March 4, 2021 at 6:14 am

I really like JD’s definition of Lament, “To qualify as a lament, it must be framed in the larger context of hope. A lament is human sadness and longing lifted to God. Absent the presence of God and ultimate hope, we cannot lament; we can only despair.” If we take God out of the equation, we can loose hope and become what we hate.

I can quickly identify people and organizations that I am very angry with right now. My anger can quickly become hatred if I focus on them and what they are doing. If I give my anger (lament) to Him and focus on what He has done in the past and what He has promised He will do in the future, I can avoid becoming what I hate. My hope is not in what I can do, but in what God can do.

This is comforting until I realize that most of what God does He does through us. That brings me back to what I can do. First, I can, as this reading suggests, take my anger to Him and not direct it toward the people or organizations that I am angry with. My fight is not with them, but the Spiritual forces of evil driving them. Secondly, I can filter all my actions and responses through the Holy Spirit and God’s Word. Finally, I can “rejoice in the Lord, Take refuge in Him, and to Him praise accord!” Lord let it be so with me!