Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

March 9, 2021 at 6:17 am

No I have never thought of the Psalms as a tactical weapon in spiritual warfare, but I can see how they can be used to remind us that “God is not looking for people to fight for him.” The battle is His, but David still came to a sword fight with a rock and defeated Goliath who represented the evil forces behind the Philistines that were attacking Israel.

I think God is looking for people to stand firm with Him in the fight, but what does that mean? First, like JD says, it means that we are not at war with other people. We are at war with the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms” (Eph. 6:12). We are at war with Satan not with the people he has deceived and deluded into thinking they are doing what is right and just. It is hard to separate the sin from the sinner, but we must for they know not what they do.

Secondly, it means, as JD suggests, that we have to put on the defensive armor of God: truth, righteousness, the Gospel of Peace, faith, and salvation lest we be tempted and become what we hate. But we also take up the sword of the Spirit, the Word of God, which is our only offensive weapon. This is the rock we bring to the fight. Lord let us use it wisely, boldly and without apology.