Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

March 10, 2021 at 6:04 am

I am an action oriented task driven person (type A personality). I have to be doing something. Waiting patiently is not my nature, so the idea of active, yet patient, waiting appeals to me.

As far as what that looks like in the context of waiting patiently on the Lord, I think it means to Reflect, Adjust, and Do (RAD). This is a practice I learned when I was coaching churches with Spiritual Leadership, Inc. We reflect, listen to the lord; we adjust our plans accordingly; and then we do or act on what He is telling us to do. This is not a linear process. It is an ongoing circular process that we repeat over and over again. It flies in the face of our planning what to do and then asking God to bless it.

The way this works for me is that I read, reflect, and record daily. I read scripture and other writings about God and our faith; I reflect on what I have done and what God is telling me to do; and I write it down (so let it be written, so let it be done). Then I go out and try to do what I think He is telling me to do. The next day, I do it all over again. Essentially, I live my life one day at a time waiting on Him to direct my steps. The only time I get in trouble is when I misinterpret what He is saying or I try to get out ahead of Him. That’s what active waiting looks like for me. What are your thoughts?