Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

March 12, 2021 at 6:11 am

On a scale of one to ten, with ten being the highest, how much do you turn to the practice of small indulgences (emotional eating and drinking) to get through the rough spots in life? I have always rewarded myself for hard work or in hard times with comfort food and drink. I think it is natural and I think it is Biblical. Ecclesiastes, part of the wisdom literature in the Bible, says “So I commended pleasure, for there is nothing good for a person under the sun except to eat, drink, and be joyful, and this will stand by him in his labor throughout the days of his life which God has given him under the sun” (Ecclesiastes 8:15). Jesus said, “I came so that they would have life, and have it abundantly” (John 10:10). There is nothing wrong with small indulgences done in moderation. Denying yourself pleasure and comfort food and drink won’t solve your problems either.

However, as JD rightly points out, these small indulgences don’t last and they have consequences, like when I get on the scales the next morning. What really works and what lasts is, “fear God and keep His commandments” (Ecclesiastes 12:13). There is no substitute, only the Love of God the Psalmist sings about will heal and save us from the realities of life. So I say go ahead and have your “grande, five-pump, no-water chai latte with a shot of espresso,” but do it in moderation and don’t let go of God.

I am sure I will get some push back on this reflection, especially from my Baptist friends, and that’s ok😊❤️.