Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

March 20, 2021 at 6:22 am

Today’s reading and JD’s reflection brings up one of the givens of life in a world of uncertainty. You truly are either at peace or at war with the world and/or other people. Finding peace and contentment does not eliminate war. “War is the absence of peace. However, peace is not the absence of war. Peace is the presence of God, which is why peace is able to thrive in the midst of the worst angst and anxiety imaginable. It’s why they call it the peace that passes all understanding.” The key point is the presence of God and I would add a Biblical Worldview.

There are psychological disorders and personality traits that contribute to your lack of peace and contentment. Identifying these can be helpful in overcoming discontentment and lack of peace. For example, when I was grieving the loss of my first wife of 45 years my counselor helped me to realize that I was a basically a control freak, a people pleaser, and a perfectionist. These personality traits made it harder for me to be content and at peace with the way things are, especially those things I could not change, fix or make perfect. However, it helped me to know where I needed God’s transforming presence in my life. I could not control, fix or save my wife from death, but Jesus did and that understanding gave me the peace that surpasses all understanding and overcomes my personality traits. Thanks be to God!