Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

March 21, 2021 at 6:26 am

I do not have an everyday Psalm, but I definitely have some favorites. I read Psalm 1 when I reflect on the contrast between the righteous and the evil. I run to Psalm 51 when I have fallen short and feel the need to confess and be cleaned and restored to the joy of my salvation. I retreat to Psalm 103 when I need to remember His loving kindness, grace, and mercy. I read the longest Psalm, Psalm 119, to remind me of the power of His Word. And I use Psalm 139 to invite the Lord to examen me and search my heart and root out any hurtful way in me.

Another approach that I find helpful, is to read daily scriptures from the Common Lectionary. The Common Lectionary is a common selection of reading that aligns with the Christian Calendar. Generally, the liturgical seasons in western Christianity are Advent, Christmas, Ordinary Time (Time after Epiphany), Lent, Easter, and Ordinary Time (Time after Pentecost). Notice the Awakening Calendar at the bottom of our Seedbed Daily Text. Each day you read a selection of scriptures from the Old Testament (Hebrew Writings), Psalms, The New Testament (the writings of the Apostles), and a Gospel reading from the Epistles. You can download the Lectionary Readings for the United Methodist Church at https://www.umcdiscipleship.org/articles/2021-revised-common-lectionary-sundays-special-days-only.

I know this is way too much information, but I wanted to share it with you in case someone wants to try it. The daily reading and reflection of scripture is the single most important spiritual discipline in terms of spiritual growth. The Lectionary is a very disciplined approach and it is not for everybody, but it works and has been used by churches for thousands of years. Happy 5th Sunday of Lent!