Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

April 5, 2021 at 6:12 am

I agree with JD, our relationship with God is both individual and communal, personal, but never private. This is because God is communal (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit) and we were created by relationship for relationship. God is love and love by definition is relational. But in my experience that does not mean that we don’t have one on one relationships with God and others. It is not an either or proposition. It is both.

The big take away for me is the question of “who comes after your relationship?” Our relationship with God and others has a purpose. It is about a movement of relationships. In 2 Timothy 2:2, Paul tells Timothy to find others who can teach others. Our relationship is about multiplication not addition. Not only do we “equate personal with individual and individual with private,” we tend to form closed relationships. The relationship becomes my church or my group instead of a means to reach an ever expanding body of relationships.

The purpose of our relationships is to form more relationships and to spread the Gospel to everyone. We are becoming more like Jesus not for us, but for them. To use terminology familiar in today’s context, we are about “super spreader” relationships not isolation or lock down. Take your mask off and spread the good new of Jesus Christ to everyone. Lord let it be so with me!