Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

April 6, 2021 at 6:31 am

If “Holiness means one thing and one thing alone: the holy love of God made known through the risen Lord Jesus Christ in the power of the Holy Spirit,” then my desire is to be more loving, forgiving, and kinder to others, especially my enemies and those not like me. I want to deny myself and think of the interests of others as more important. In other words, I want to be like Jesus. The only thing holding me back is me (my flesh).

Love is the more excellent way, but I think love and holiness also involves God’s truth and judgment. Paul makes this clear in his letter to the church of Corinth (1 Corinthians 5). I am not talking about what JD calls, “little clubs of holier-than-thou legalists who measure each other’s performance by their religious activity and who judge the outside world according to their pagan proclivities.” I am not talking about judging non-believers. God has already judged them. I am talking about judging my behavior and the behavior of other believers in the Body of Christ against the holy standards of God’s truth. I realize this is a slippery slope, but we ignore it at our own peril in my view. Jesus said there is no condemnation for those who believe in Him, but He also said go and sin no more.