Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

April 8, 2021 at 5:46 am

It is a sad fact that many churches have become dispensers of goods and services to fickle religious consumers. It is all about who has the coolest preacher, the best praise band, the biggest children’s program, the most comfortable sanctuary, and the best coffee and donuts. Religious consumers like most consumers will leave one church for another with better services. I doubt any pastor or any church member would say that is why they answered the call to ministry or joined a church.

So why did you join the Church in the first place? For me, it was the right, socially acceptable thing to do, and some body invited me. For many, it was because they had no choice. They were born and raised in the church. Neither of these scenarios is a valid reason for joining the church. We assemble together as the Body of Christ as is our custom for a much higher purpose. First, we join a church in order to become more like Christ for the sake of others. Secondly, we join a church to make disciples of all people in order to transform our world. When we join the church, we join a movement of Christ not an organization. Think about these two purposes when you decide which local community of faith to partner with and take heart in the fact “that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.”