Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

April 9, 2021 at 6:21 am

As a Christ Follower, I have always thought of love as a commandment not an option. Friendship or liking someone is a different proposition. I love and pray for my enemies and my neighbors (everyone) because it is part of God’s Great Commandment, but that does not mean that I like all of them. To be loved and liked by God and to know that Jesus calls me His friend takes love to a new level. It is like the icing on the cake. The cake is great, but the icing makes it more better 😊!

Linking love of neighbor to love of self is another important concept. If I can’t love myself or if I don’t like myself, how can I possibly have a profound love of God and others? This can be a powerful motivation to be a better person by becoming more like Jesus for the sake of God and others.

Finally, I would also point out that Jesus gave us a “new commandment” on the eve of His death, “Love each other as I have loved you” (John 15:12). This takes agape love to an even higher plain. Jesus goes on to say, “Greater love has no one than this, that a person will lay down his life for his friends” (John 15:13). Profound love of God and others is the ultimate mark of a mature Disciple and involves dying to self as Jesus did for us. Lord let it be so with me!