Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

April 10, 2021 at 6:16 am

Love is the sun and the central message of Christianity because God is love. All of God’s commandments are about love. Love God, love others, and love yourself. Everything God does and therefore everything we do should be born out of love, but it is important to note that JD points out that the love of God is “not the flimsy cultural construct that gets passed off as love but the supernatural reality of the truth and power of God that alone changes people and situations.” What does that mean?

In today’s text, Paul prays that our love “may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ—to the glory and praise of God.” The love of God has a purpose. It is more than a mushy emotional feeling or response. It is a supernatural relationship that transforms.

The purpose of God’s love, as revealed here, is to enable us to spiritually discern what is best (truth) and that we would become pure (Holy) and blameless, and that we would be filled with the fruit of righteousness. I am not talking about a holier than thou attitude or self righteousness or judgmental love. I am talking about accepting and submitting to the awesome power of God’s love and Truth to transform us and to produce in us the fruit of righteousness, which is the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23). That is what Paul is praying for. That is what he wants to abound. Lord may it be so with me!