Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

April 12, 2021 at 6:23 am

The famous quote from the poet Robert Frost comes to mind as I reflect on today’s text, “Two roads diverged in a wood and I – I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” I also remember Jesus’s teaching on the narrow gate (Matthew 7:12-14). Taking the “high road,” the one less traveled, and entering by the narrow gate that few will find is a matter of Will. It is a conscious choice, we can make, but it requires humility and a change of perspective.

We can choose to be at war or at peace with one another. We can see others as objects, obstacles, or competitors or we can see others as persons of worth just like us. We can choose to believe the worst or we can give people the benefit of the doubt. We can look for the bad or we can look for the good in the actions of others and flush the rest, as Paul did in this case.

However, I hasten to say that this does not mean we tolerate evil or sin among believers. Gossip (creating false narratives) is evil and a sin in my view. The tongue is a consuming fire and the tiny rudder that steers the massive ship (James 3:4-5). When we encounter it, we should call it out and avoid it. Otherwise like a little leaven, it will infect the whole (1 Corinthians 5:6). Unfortunately, we don’t always do this because we fear conflict and want to avoid controversy. We do so at our own peril. We need to learn how to gently and lovingly rebuke one another when we sin or at least have no part in it. Lord let it be so with me!