Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

April 17, 2021 at 7:06 am

Wow 😳! Paul and JD just poked their finger into a major sore spot for the modern, mostly affluent Western church, “being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind” and “the reputation of the church in the world will never rise above the quality of the relationships within it.” They just put their finger on the reasons why the church is not living up to Christ’s vision for it. We are divided and our relationships are superficial. In my view, we must address these two issues before we can tackle poverty, or homelessness in our communities.

We worship a poor homeless man on Sunday and ignore the poor and homeless in our community on Monday. Most of what we do as the “Church” is treating symptoms (food pantry’s) and does nothing to embrace or address the root causes of poverty, homelessness, racism, addiction, divorce, births to unwed mothers, abortion, child abuse, and the list goes on. In America, the church has abdicated responsibility for the poor, the widow, the orphan, and the stranger among us (James 1:27, Matthew 25:36) to the government, which has only made matters worse and has created a culture of entitlement.

JD’s what if’s are not “pie-in-the-sky idealism” they are Biblical. “What if we brought them into our community and loved them out of poverty—helped them get jobs, equipped them with the biblical wisdom to build a household economy, raised our children together, and so on? What if the community of the church, which is the fellowship of the Holy Spirit, was a place where the love for one another was so palpable nothing was impossible for them? Think of the witness this would be to the watching world?” If we did this, we would change the World, one person, one family at a time.

Why aren’t we unified, and of one mind and one spirit focusing on our relationships in the church and the community at the “microlevel,” you and I really don’t want to know 😢. We just don’t have that level of profound love for God and others (the highest level of spiritual maturity). I am just as guilty as the next person and I often think of myself as the “rich young ruler” as I fret with my “rich people” problems and ignore the real problems of those less fortunate that are all around me. We can do better and with God’s help we will. Lord let it be so with me!