Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

April 18, 2021 at 6:27 am

I agree that humility is not simply the opposite of pride, but I do find it hard to define humility without referencing self. However, I do like JD’s definition, “Humility is about lifting others up.” I believe we are born selfish and self-centered. Then the world teaches us to look out for ourselves (number 1) and to put our own interests first. The Bible, as this text makes clear, teaches us to “value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.” The Bible also teaches us to “seek first His kingdom and His righteousness…” (Matthew 6:33). Here in lies the key to humility in my view.

Abnegation is self-denial and codependency is valuing the approval of others more than valuing yourself. I think what Paul and JD are saying is that humility involves the motivation and focus of our actions. Our focus should be on others not ourselves and our motivation should be to do what is in their best interests, which is not abdicating or giving them what they want or telling them what they want to hear.

For me to do this requires that I first focus on loving God and putting His interests first. I love Him and lift Him up and then let His love and truth flow through me to others. Humility is really not about me or you, it is all about Him. Lord let it be so with me!