Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

April 19, 2021 at 6:06 am

The first thing that strikes me about today’s reading is that it about relationships, “In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus.” Our life with God is all about relationships. Relationships with Him and relationships with others. In all of those relationships, we are to have the mind of Christ. JD focuses his reflections today on this point and the important role of the Holy Spirit. It is impossible for us to be conformed to the mind of Christ and do what He did without the power of the Holy Spirit, which is how He did it.

It is also interesting to note that “in your relationships” only appears in the NIV translation. The NASB says, “Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus.” The KJV says, “Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus.” Paul will explain what this mindset/attitude is in the next few verses. I think all three translations are correct. I only point this out to encourage you to read the whole passage for yourself and to look at multiple translations in order to gain a more complete understanding.

The next thing that struck me is JD’s advocacy for small group relationships, “This is a team sport; it is not a solo flight. We are not transformed alone. I’m going to start pushing you harder and harder on this issue of banding together with a few other believers for the work of depth discipleship. The reason most of us are stuck is we do not have the kinds of relationships it takes to sustain the level of work the Holy Spirit wills to do in our lives.” I completely agree with this statement. This digital group is a step in that direction, but I encourage you seek out face to face interaction with other believers in a small group, if that is possible. If you want to know more about how you can band together with others to grow deeper in your relationships, please don’t hesitate to contact me individually at dpmillsjr@gmail.com or 706-296-3734.