Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

April 21, 2021 at 6:44 am

The first part of the Gospel or God’s plan for reconciliation is easy and this is where we tend to focus all our attention. Dallas Willard called this the “Great Omission” and a “Gospel of Conversion.” Being saved and going to Heaven is the main thing. As today’s text and JD’s reflection points out, that is not the case.

The main thing is becoming like Christ for the sake of others and making disciples of all people (The Great Commission). We are saved for a purpose. That requires the second part of the Gospel, “The second half of the gospel, or sanctification, is the process of taking on the mind of Christ. This means emptying ourselves of all we thought would be fullness in order that we might be filled with all the fullness of God.” I struggle with this process everyday.

The idea of Kenosis, emptying oneself, and deconstructing your false self in order to find your true self is important part of this process. If as JD suggests, the false securities we have constructed have become our false self, masquerading as fullness, then deconstructing or emptying ourselves of our false securities is the way to reveal our true self and be filled with the fullness of God. This gets complicated, but I think it means not putting our trust in anything or anybody other than God so that we become filled with the fullness of God, which is our true self. The self we were created to be. Lord let it be so with me!