Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

April 23, 2021 at 6:25 am

There are two fundamental questions in life that everyone eventually must answer, Who am I and why am I here? The answer to both questions can be found in Christ. In Christ, we find our new identity and our purpose or reason for living.

Realizing your new identity is the first step toward discipleship and becoming more like Christ for the sake of others. If you ask most people, even Christ followers, who they are, they will respond based on their self identity (role, position or what they do for a living). It seems harsh to say that this is also our false identity, but our real self and true identity is what I call COGPOW, a term I learned in my consulting days. It stands for Child of God, Person of Worth. This new identity makes all the difference in the world as to how we live out our lives as a Father, Mother, banker, lawyer, etc.

The second realization and step in discipleship is that we are are equal in the eyes of God. God shows no partiality or favoritism (Romans 2:11). There is no longer Jew or Gentile; male or female; free or slave; and I would add black or white; we are all one in Christ (Galatians 3:28). We may be different, but we are no better or worse than our other siblings. Therefore, comparing ourselves to each other is an exercise in futility and a function of our false self. The ground is level and all are equal at the foot of the Cross.

The realization of why you are here is a third important step in discipleship, but I will save my reflections on that for another day. Have a blessed day brothers and sisters in Christ!