Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

April 24, 2021 at 8:49 am

I completely resonate with the contrasting patterns of ascent and descent because I have lived this pattern for the past 46 years of my life. I reached my greatest discontent with my life as a young man fresh out of the Army with a wife, two small children, and a job that I hated. I was to the point of suicide when I met Jesus at the foot of the Cross. Ever since then my life has been a long upward journey to becoming the man God created me to be and I am still not there.

My journey has and is still a little bit different from the way JD depicts it with two contrasting paths / or /. My journey looks more like this ///… It has not been a straight line or linear progression. Sometimes, I feel like I take one step forward and two steps backwards. There have been multiple points of what I call Holy Discontent and surrender with my life and ministry. I have to repeatedly descend to the Cross to repent of my shortcomings and confess my sins, but I cling to hope that I have in Christ and I keep pressing forward and upward. As Paul will say in the next chapter of Philippians, “Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 3:13-14).

As far as where I am challenged in my everyday life to live out the confession “Jesus Christ is Lord” is concerned, my greatest challenge is first dealing with my false self and then other people who have a very different worldview from my Biblical Worldview. This is especially true with other people who also claim to be faithful Christ Followers. All my professional life I have been taught and pressured to honor diversity, that there are many paths to a desirable outcome, and that compromise and finding common ground are virtues. Unfortunately, that is not how the Gospel works. There is only one way and only one path, the path of Jesus Christ who is Lord of all. Lord help me not to stray from that path!