Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

April 28, 2021 at 6:05 am

I can certainly remember the hard times, when the demands on my time and ability seemed overwhelming. What I learned then has served me well, especially in the time inbetween the hard times. First, I learned that God’s Grace is always sufficient and His power is manifested in my weakness (2 Corinthians 12:9). It is not until you think you can’t take one more step and you do that you learn you can’t, but He can.

The second thing I learned is that God’s Grace allows for those times when you really need to tend to your own interests for a season, so take time out for yourself, but get back in the race as soon as possible. I also learned that the way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time; to pick the low hanging fruit first; and to know that this to will pass.

Looking out for the interests of Christ is definitely a different way to frame our life as Christ Followers. It is not a matter of me finding the time for the “mushy middle” between my self interests and the interests of others. It is about seeking to carry out His interests at the same time I looking out for my interests. I am reminded of Jesus’s question to Peter, do you love me? Then tend to my sheep. The Scriptures are clear if we love God, we will show our love for Him by loving others as He has loved us.

In my experience, the number one reason we don’t do this is that we think we are too busy and we are in too big of a hurry. We blame it on a lack of “capacity,” but that is a cop out in my view. God’s Grace really is sufficient and He will expand your capacity to do His Will if you will just do it. The key is to listen to the Holy Spirit. He will let you know what to do. When you get that nudge, just do it, and it will all work out better than you expected.