Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

May 7, 2021 at 6:32 am

First, I am relieved to read that, “To be perfect does not mean perfection as we commonly think of the term. It means to be mature, possessed by a love of another magnitude of order—the very love of God” because I consistently fall short of perfection. If maturity means that I never mess up, then I am an infant that is not potty trained. If maturity as suggested in today’s readings, is being possessed by the love of God and attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of God then I am getting there, although it be painfully slow.

In that light, I think the markers of maturity are a profound love of God and others, humility, and faithfulness. To be possessed by the love of God is to look upon yourself and other human beings as God sees you and them, not as the world sees you and them. Humility is acknowledging your imperfection and repenting. Faithfulness is steadfastness, determination, and perseverance. It’s when I fall of the horse, I allow Him to pick me up, dust me off, and put me back on the path again. I don’t give up and I don’t give in. I keep working out my salvation with fear and trembling.

On a scale of 1-10, I would rank my maturity as an eight on a good day. The best description I have heard that I think fits me is that I am flawed, but faithful. I am not perfect, but I am determined to stay in the race and press on to perfection.