Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

May 12, 2021 at 6:09 am

I envy people, mostly introverts, that appear to have a calm gentle spirit, except when they lord it over me as some kind of spiritual “merit badge.” I am an off the chart extrovert. As I shared yesterday calm and gentle are not words that describe me. I embrace life frenetically and passionately confront my circumstances head on. Oh yea did I mention that I am also a “fixer.” I try to fix everything.

You don’t have to wonder if I am happy or sad. There is no pretense with me, what you see is what you get. It’s the way I am wired and short of medication you are not going to change me. My intensity and passion is my strength, but a strength over done is a weakness. This way of being is really my false self, my old self.

My true self, my new self, is in Jesus. My true self is strength and passion under control, which leads me to peace and contentment. The pathway to my true self is prayer or communication with God and meditation on scripture. It is the only thing that works for me and it is better than Ativan or Xanax.

This where I differ with JD. When I pray, I don’t talk out loud or try to tell Him how to fix me or my circumstances. I try to be still and deeply listen. It is a form of contemplative prayer. I also recall (rememberize) scriptures like today’s text and 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18. Then I write it down so that I can do it (so let it be written, so let it be done). That is my spiritual rhythm and how I deal with my false self, my frantic, anxious, harsh self.