Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

May 19, 2021 at 6:17 am

Grace is something we can take for granted, but never should. My growth in understanding and appreciation for God’s Grace is enhanced by the Wesleyan concept of grace as being prevenient Grace (before I knew Him); justifying Grace (Grace that saves me from the wages of my sin); and sanctifying Grace (Grace that makes me like Christ for the sake of others). The big idea is that It is all a matter of Grace and not dependent on me.

The most encouraging thing I gain from reading Philippians is that, “He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus” (Philippians 1:6). It releases me from the futility of trying to fix myself. All I have to do is surrender my life to the Holy Spirit, confess my shortcomings, and He will do the work of transformation. The most challenging thing I read in Philippians is being like Christ; having the same attitude as him; and working out my salvation with fear and trembling (Philippians 2:1-18).

The greatest takeaway for me is Paul’s confession in chapter three that he has not yet obtained it and is not perfect. But the one thing he does is “forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 3:13-14). I find this comforting and instructive. Lord let it be so with me!