Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

May 20, 2021 at 6:04 am

I spent a fair amount of time reflecting on these two verses in Chapter 3 and JD’s eloquent, albeit long, explanation of what they say. I keep coming back to what is missing in this explanation. In my translation (NASB) this Chapter is titled, “The Goal of Life.” Our goal as stated here is to know Him and become like Him in His suffering and death in order to obtain resurrection power now and resurrection from the dead when I die, but we can’t stop there. This is where a lot of us stop, but there is much more.

We want to know Him and become like for the sake of others. We are saved for a purpose, to not only know Him, but to make Him known. We are a Royal Priesthood; ministers of God’s reconciliation; ambassadors for Christ; and dispensers of Grace and Hope; and we are to care for the poor, the widow, the orphan, and the stranger among us (if you love me feed/tend my sheep).

Admittedly, the power to do all this comes from knowing and abiding in Him, but if that knowledge does not result in fruit in action, what good does it do. I am trinitarian in my thinking, because I think it is the Biblical model and it represents strength and completeness. I think of our goal in life as Christ Followers as being composed of Believing, Becoming, and Blessing. Lord let it be so with me!