Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

May 26, 2021 at 5:56 am

My earliest teaching on the “baptism of the Holy Spirit” was during the Charismatic Movement in the seventies. I was taught that my water baptism was not enough and that I needed a second blessing, the baptism of the Holy Spirit, and that the evidence of receiving that “baptism by fire” would be speaking in tongues.

I rejected this teaching because it did not square with the baptism of Jesus (Matthew 3:16-17) or what He told Nicodemus about our spiritual birth in John Chapter 3. Nor did it line up with Paul’s teachings (1 Corinthians 12:13, Romans 8:9, Ephesians 1:13-14 and 4:4-6) or with what the Holy Spirit was saying to me. This false teaching, in my view, on receiving the Holy Spirit had a profound impact on me and actually stifled my spiritual growth for many years. I was not able to fully surrender or release myself to the Holy Spirit living in me. I felt I was missing something because I had not received the gift of tongues and I refused to be manipulated by others.

Thank the Lord, I gradually learned the difference between receiving the Holy Spirit, being filled with the Holy Spirit, and releasing or giving control to the Holy Spirit. I don’t want to get ahead of Dan’s teaching, but I really resonate with today’s interpretation of the tongues of fire in Acts 2 as being God’s love filling them and empowering them. Being filled with the fire of love for God and others is something I want more of in my life.