Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

May 27, 2021 at 5:59 am

I am relieved that Dan has chosen not to wade into the quagmire of the gift of speaking in tongues. For our purposes, I prefer to leave this debate in the theological closet until another day. The important point in today’s text is that spiritual gifts have a giver; the Holy Spirit not anyone else; and a recipient who is not the one that receives the gift. The recipient is the one that needs the gift in order to believe.

Spiritual gifts are given for a purpose and that purpose is the mission of God, which is to reconcile all of humankind to Himself. That mission is accomplished primarily through the Great Commission. Spiritual gifts are not given for our own edification or as a sign or merit badge of faith. The fruit of the Spirit is the only evidence or manifestation of the indwelling of the Spirit of Christ that counts in my view.

To be honest I have never actually witnessed someone exercise a “profound” gift of the Spirit that directly resulted in someone giving their heart to Jesus (salvation) with the possible exception of the gifts of teaching or exhortation. I gave my heart to Jesus because of the love of Christ that I received from Christ Followers and by reading and studying the word of God for myself. It wasn’t a hell fire and brimstone sermon or an emotional worship experience or someone speaking in tongues that motivated me. It was the spiritual fruit of love, joy, patience, peace, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, and self control (Galatians 5:22-23) that attracted and won me over.

Don’t get me wrong spiritual gifts are important for equipping us for ministry, but it is the fruit of the Spirit that attracts and wins people for Christ, in my opinion. I would love to hear your opinion and thoughts on this topic.