Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

June 1, 2021 at 6:21 am

I am always open to the Holy Spirit speaking to me. I am not always comfortable with what He is saying to me. I rarely dream, so I can’t relate to the examples in today’s text. The Holy Spirit speaks to me in the oddest places and at the most unexpected times. Usually it is when I am still and alone, but sometimes I am in the middle of doing something else like driving the car, mowing the grass (back when I mowed my own grass) or taking a shower.

I would have to carry a journal with me all the time to write it down. What I have learned to do is act on it immediately unless it is something requiring confirmation or wise counsel. If I get the nudge to call someone or pray for someone I do it right then. If it is something that I am wrestling with, I write it down in my journal during my daily reflection time. That way I can share it with others and I have a record of our on going conversation.

Although I don’t hear from the Holy Spirit in dreams, I often have “dark night’s of the soul” where I wake up anxious about something or I wrestle with Him at night over some issue in my life. That is when I turn to prayer and the scriptures that I have buried in my heart. My favorite scripture to describe these times is Psalm 30:5, “For His anger is but for a moment, His favor is for life; Weeping may endure for a night, But joy comes in the morning.” The big idea, in my view, is to write it down so that you make it plain and you will do it (Habakkuk 2:2)!