Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

June 6, 2021 at 6:12 am

Many people have helped me understand what it means to be a Disciple (Christ Follower) and how to become more like Jesus for the sake of others, but I have mainly learned about discipleship by doing and hearing from the Holy Spirit (the Spirit of Christ). The personal practice of the spiritual disciplines is the best way to learn about discipleship. However, it is important to note that our journey is personal, but not private. We do learn from others and we need each other to reach our goal of becoming like Christ.

In my personal spiritual journey, teaching, leading, coaching and facilitating the learning of others has helped me grow more than anything else. In order to teach or lead others you have to first learn it yourself. You may not be a teacher, but the underlying principle still applies. We read, reflect (listen to the Holy Spirit) and respond. We not only ask what would Jesus do; we do what Jesus did. We become not only hearers of the Word, but doers of the Word. We learn discipleship by doing discipleship and sharing it with others.