Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

June 14, 2021 at 6:12 am

The big idea in today’s text, “the idea of the royal priesthood—means that we are a people in whom heaven and earth meet” is what Dallas Willard called the “great omission.” Somewhere along the way the New Testament church lost its focus on being a Royal Priesthood whose primary purpose is The Great Commission, to go and make Disciples of all people and to make things on earth as they are in Heaven. The primary mission became getting people saved, a gospel of conversion not discipleship. Unfortunately today, the church in general has strayed from that mission and is engaged primarily in providing religious goods and services to religious consumers.

Part of the reason for this is that we have forgotten that this blessing is conditional and both an individual and corporate responsibility. The condition is, “Now if you obey me fully and keep my covenant, then out of all nations you will be my treasured possession. Although the whole earth is mine, you will be for me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.” We are called to be holy and set apart and we have all been given the charge to make Disciples, not just the “professionals” that we have hired to do that for us when they are not too busy meeting our needs with programs, activities and services.

If this sounds overly harsh and critical, I am sorry, but the evidence overwhelmingly supports my position as far as the Western Church is concerned. Many churches in America can not report a single person joining the church in an entire year by profession of faith and the rate of sin and idolatry is virtually the same among Christians as it is among non-believers. Barna’s research shows that fewer than two percent of Christians reach full spiritual maturity.

Why am I sharing all this? It is because I believe the church needs to wake up before it is too late. I also believe that we all can become ministers of God’s reconciliation and ambassadors for Christ. The first step is living in the will (covenant) of God. The second step is becoming a Disciple who makes Disciples. If you want to discuss this in more depth, please let me know.