Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

June 22, 2021 at 6:06 am

As I have shared many times with this group, there was definitely a moment in time and a season when I was born again. Because I was an adult, I can vividly recall what it was like. It was like a burden had been lifted and the shackles and chains of my old life fell off. I was giddy with excitement and I could not get enough of Bible study, worship and service. I had an unquenchable thirst for knowledge and understanding and a desire to serve in the the church that brought me to that moment.

That led me to teaching and the acceptance of more and more leadership responsibility. This was the beginning of my maturing process, but then life began to happen and the euphoria of new birth began to give way to the hard lessons of the realities of not being of this world, but still being in it and of the now, but not yet of spiritual formation. Fortunately, the Holy Spirit was there to comfort and guide me through these times and seasons and to continue the work of transformation He had begun when I was a new born.

Now as I realize that I have way more sunsets behind me than sunrises before me, I am in a season of a deeper journey into my true self. All the low hanging fruit has been picked. Church work and a performance driven response is no longer adequate. I am dealing with the deeper rooted aspects of my old nature, my false self. Lord help me in this new season of my formation.

I am prompted to say at this point, that you need to live in the season you are in and not try to be who you have not yet become. We don’t control the process or the journey, the Holy Spirit does. Our role is to listen and hear, and to trust and obey. I have seen a lot of spiritual children try to act like spiritual adults before they have been formed and remade by the refining fire of the Spirit. Our culture and the church tries to push you to rush the process by doing more. The hard reality is that It takes time, commitment, perseverance, and discipline. If you rush it or try to force it, you run the risk of being just a flash in the pan and you will burn out.