Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

July 9, 2021 at 6:20 am

The big take away for me in today’s Daily Text is, “Learning to follow the Spirit takes as much unlearning as it takes learning, as much emptying as filling.” I was a pagan when I turned to Christ as an adult. Love was quid quo pro; power was positional authority; and self achievement was a virtue.

I had to unlearn what the world had taught me about life and the way things work growing up without Christ in my life. Don’t get me wrong, I was raised in a nominally Christian home and before I became a rebellious adolescent I had church in my life, but not Christ. Those of you who can’t remember a time when Christ was not in your life probably can’t relate to this scripture the same way I do, but it still applies. I have known a lot of life time Christ Followers who don’t know what they don’t know.

I had to learn from the Scriptures, the Holy Spirit, and the witness of faithful Christ Followers that it is not about me. It is about being filled with and walking in the Spirit of God and allowing God’s love, power, and achievements to flow through me for the sake of others. It is about emptying myself like Christ did, picking up my cross, and following Him.

I learned that true love is unconditional and sacrificial. It is not 50/50. It is all or nothing. I had to learn that real power comes from God and that it is perfected and manifested in my weakness. It is about moral authority and acting justly. I had to learn that self achievement and self help strategies do not work. God’s Ways, Will and purposes are unachievable without God, but with God all things are possible (Matthew 19:26). I am still unlearning and I have to be refilled on a regular basis because I get wrung out by the world and my flesh. Lord let it be so with me!