Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

July 19, 2021 at 6:17 am

The local community of faith (church) can play an integral and important role in our Christian growth, spiritual formation and participation in God’s mission for us on earth. At one point in my faith walk, I became so disappointed in the local church that I spent all of my energy trying to fix it. When that didn’t work, I decided I was done with the organized institutional church and that I didn’t need the local church. I soon discovered that as imperfect as the local church is, I still needed to be in worship, fellowship, breaking bread with and praying with other believers. So, I found a local community of faith and made a commitment to partner with them in ministry.

I decided that I would no longer try to fix the institution or the organization of the church, I would focus on making and growing faithful followers of Christ (Disciples) because when you plant or do church work you may or may not get disciples, but when you make Disciples and faithful Christ Followers you always get the Church that God intended when He sent His Son to build His Church on earth as it is in Heaven.

I no longer wait or depend on the church for my ministry or to do my ministry. I listen and follow the prompting of the Holy Spirit and do what He tells me to do. Now if this sounds anti-church or as if I am just doing my own thing, well so be it. I will say that from time to time, as today’s text suggests, the Holy Spirit also speaks to me through the local body and I join with them in doing ministry together. Do you see the difference?