Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

July 21, 2021 at 6:24 am

I can definitely identify with today’s text and reflection. Patience is definitely a growth area for me, but I am learning to wait on the Lord. He is not in a hurry to do His work in me. The hurry is in me and haste makes waste.

It struck me, that Paul says it is by faith we wait for the hope of righteousness. When I am impatient and try to hurry the process, it really is a lack of faith in the slow, but steady process of spiritual sanctification. I try to substitute my efforts (recipe) for His and it spoils the cake.

Chapter 5 is about walking by the Spirit and not being led astray by false religious practices that become an end in and of themselves. What does it mean to walk by the Spirit? I think it means to first know the Spirit (discernment); then to listen to what He is saying (prayer); and then act on what He says (obedience). Paul says, if you walk by the Spirit, you will not carry out the desires of the flesh and the fruit of obedience is….you guessed it, patience. Lord let it be so with me!