Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

July 28, 2021 at 6:57 am

I have struggled with this issue a lot as I have witnessed the institutional church bend or ignore the Word of God to fit the cultural norms of the day. My answer to today’s question depends on which details of my faith walk you are talking about. Chapter 14 is about judging our brothers and sisters over issues of eating or drinking or observing one day over another. This was an important matter and vivid contrast between Jewish believers and Gentile believers. Paul admonishes them, “Therefore do not let what is for you a good thing be spoken of as evil; for the Kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.

Jesus taught the same principle in His eight woes of the Scribes and Pharisees (Matthew 23:13-36) when He said, “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.” So, if you are talking about the details of our faith, I agree that we should not quibble over them or judge or condemn a brother or sister who thinks differently, but if you are talking about changing our core beliefs (The Apostles Creed) or making sin ok, I draw the line there.

I think the point Dan is trying to make is to not focus or fight over the lesser details, but focus on union with God and love, joy, peace and mercy. However, we do not do this at the expense of righteousness, faithfulness and justice. Micah 6:8 puts it well, Act Justly, Love Kindness and Mercy, and Walk Humbly with God. Put another way, Do no harm, Do all the good you can, and stay in Love with God. Lord may it be so with me!