Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

August 13, 2021 at 6:15 am

“Set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. 2 Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.” This is an every single day thing. We must become far more engaged and embodied in our ways of doing this. We must break free from the whole concept of a “devotional” or even a “spiritual” life.

I don’t know where JD is going with this, but I am convinced we can’t get there without it. I only started to effectively deal with the second part of the Gospel, when I finally developed a daily spiritual rhythm that takes precedence over everything else in my life. I allow myself that first cup of coffee (I need to be fully conscious), but nothing else prevents me from practicing this spiritual discipline. I read scripture or something scripturally based (currently it is the Daily Text); I reflect (examen my life); I record what I am thinking, feeling and what I believe God is saying; I record it (journal); and then I pray for God to make it so with me.

I know all the excuses, but for me there are no excuses. I do whatever it takes to have this time first thing every morning, even if I have to go to bed a hour early, so I can get up an hour early. I need this time with Him and if you live with me or you are going to be dealing with me, you want me to have this time with Him before I meet with you.

It does not always work and I usually have plenty to confess the next morning, but I don’t know where I would be without it. I suspect I would still be stuck where I was over a decade ago when I first started this practice. I am anxious for the next deeper step. Lord let it be so with me!