Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

August 15, 2021 at 6:39 am

“From a Devotional Life to Life itself.” This is what I like about the Seedbed Daily Text. The focus is on application and doing. It follows a familiar pattern that I think distinguishes it from what I call feel good or inspirational daily devotionals (not that there is anything wrong with those). The pattern is SOAP, scripture, observation (reflection), application, and prayer. I would add to this pattern writing it down in your own words to make the vision/goal plain, so that you can run with it (Habakkuk 2:2). This takes you beyond just beholding and becoming to doing. “Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says” (James 1:22, NIV). The deeper more mature (meat and potatoes) life (journey) is being and doing.

I measure my faith not by my commitment to my “devotional time” or by how often I go to church on Sundays. I measure my faith by how I do life and the fruit my sowing actually produces in terms of my daily behavior and my service to the Kingdom. When I look at my faith like that, I often come up short and I feel like all my efforts to “train myself to be Godly” are just vanity and blowing in the wind (Ecclesiastes). There is something more than even the meat and potatoes. I am beginning to believe it has something to do with surrender and submission (see the Ten Transformational Steps). That it means more trust and obedience. It also involves confession, repentance, and releasing the Holy Spirit in me to complete the work He has begun (Philippians 1:6). Lord, so let it be written, so let it be done!