Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

August 17, 2021 at 7:04 am

If Holy Discontent is the first step to the Second Half of the Gospel, why are only 6% at this point in their walk with God? There are probably as many reasons as there are people, but I believe a major reason is that that they are satisfied and comfortable with where they are. No one has really challenged them to go deeper or helped them determine that where they are is not where they need to be. As Dallas Willard said, the church has adopted a Gospel of conversion rather than a Gospel of Discipleship. The emphasis is on salvation, being active in the church, affirming a certain set of beliefs, and adopting a particular pattern of behavior (Mulholland, 2006). If you can check all those boxes you are ok.

This is inconsistent with the New Testament Scriptures (the writings of the Apostles). Paul and the other Apostles are repeatedly urging us to move on to perfection and the higher calling in Christ. The author of Hebrews says we should not remain infants needing only milk we should be eating meat and teaching (Hebrews 5:12). They admonish us to be a Royal Priesthood, teachers, disciple makers, ministers of God’s reconciliation, and ambassadors for Christ.

Therefore I would say, “If the first half of the gospel is believing and belonging, the second half is being and doing.” Lord, may it be so with me!