Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

August 18, 2021 at 6:33 am

I have been in a state of Holy Discontent, not so quiet desperation, since 2000. In 2000, I was a General Conference Delegate for the South Georgia Annual Conference of The United Methodist Church. This is the highest office a lay person can achieve other than Conference Lay Leader. I attended the General Conference in May of that year in Cleveland Ohio. What I witnessed there shook me to the core of my being. There were conference delegates from all over the world and we were debating issues that should not even been spoken of among us (Ephesians 5:3). This was both a crisis and an awakening for me.

This led me to a decade long quest of trying to revive, reform, and restore the Methodist Church in that order. A series of other life events (crises and awakenings) led me to my current Holy Discontent. I realized that I could not fix the Methodist Church because they did not want to be fixed and Jesus was building His Church and it was thriving just not here in America.

In 2010, at a Lay Mobilization Conference in Wilmore Kentucky at Asbury Theological Seminary, I had an Epiphany, a God encounter. My job was not to build or fix the Church, my job was to make Disciples starting with me. This revelation has led me to my current quest to know Him more fully and to make Him known by others. My Holy Discontent is Discipleship and becoming more like Christ for the sake of others. My favorite quote from another who shares my Holy Discontent is, “When you plant a church, you sometimes get Disciples, but when you make Disciples, you always get the Church” (Breen, 2010). I hope you will join me in my quest and the Deeper Journey.