Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

August 29, 2021 at 6:41 am

In answering JD’s questions about milk, protein shakes, meat, and my daily devotional, I will pick up where I left off yesterday. What’s becoming clearer to me is that living in the Second Half of the Gospel is about surrendering and submitting my life to living in the Spirit and being in a loving union with God 24/7. I don’t have to do more. I have to give up my old life and receive my new life hidden in Christ.

What does it mean to live in the Spirit 24/7? It is about beholding, being, and doing what is right. As JD hinted at, It’s about seeking the Kingdom of God and His righteousness first. The 14th verse in our text today also caught my eye, “But solid food (aka meat) is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.” The phrase “constant use” is another key to living in the second half of the Gospel and in the Spirit 24/7. It can’t be just on Sunday or when we are in crisis or when we feel like it. It has to be constant and consistent.

Let me close by relating this to my daily devotional. First off, I don’t refer to this time as my daily devotional, not that there is anything wrong with daily devotionals. However, if all you are doing is reading what someone else has said about what God says, you may be living in the first half of the Gospel. I prefer to refer to my daily time with God as the Spiritual Practice of Examen. During this time I read scripture or something based on scripture; then I reflect and ask my self what is God saying to me and what am I going to do about it; and then I record my reflections as I am doing now. It is as much for self examination as for inspiration. It is constant (daily) and consistent. I am not there yet, but I sense I am learning the difference between good and evil and that I am drawing closer to that loving union with God that I seek.