Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

August 31, 2021 at 6:45 am

The thing that this series has brought to light and what the Holy Spirit has been saying to me is that for the most part Christians here in America are asleep. At best, we are stuck in the first part of the Gospel. We are active in the church. We believe and we try to behave, but that is about all. At worst, we are ambivalent and ignore what’s going on around us. We are totally self absorbed and in bed with evil.

I am not sure what it will take to wake up American Christians. If floods, earthquakes, hurricanes, pandemics, wars, abortions, hatred, cancel culture, critical race theory, and rampant sexual immorality has not gotten their attention, I don’t know what it’s going to take. I fear that many won’t wake up until it’s too late and they are left behind or they realize that they have wasted their life in Christ. One verse in our text today always jumps out at me and it may be what those who are awake need to do that will help others wake up. Verse 11 says, “Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them.”

I think we need to sound the alarm about deeds of darkness and let people know that the return of Christ is near and that you better make sure your lamp is full and your wick is trimmed (Matthew 25:1-13). I think we need to let people know that if you are not growing spiritually you might still be dead spiritually. If your stuck in the first half of the Gospel; you may not be who you think you are; you are not just stuck, you are asleep and you may not wake up until it’s too late.

I am not suggesting that we awaken people by intimidation, condemnation, judgment or fear. That doesn’t work for the first part of the Gospel and it won’t work for the second part of the Gospel. I think we need to wake people up by illumination and imitation. We need to become the change we desire to see in others. We need to turn on the lights to expose evil and “let your light shine before others in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in Heaven” (Matthew 5:16). It’s about being who you say you are and doing what your supposed to do. Lord let it be so with all of us starting with me!