Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

September 15, 2021 at 6:51 am

One of the first paradigm shifts a new Christ Follower has to come to grips with is a new identity. They are no longer defined by their occupation or role in their first birth family or this world. They are a Child of God and joint heirs with Christ. They are part of the family of God and members of the Kingdom of God. They are in the world, but no longer of the world. They are no longer slaves of Sin or servants. They are friends of Jesus.

This new identity changes everything. Other believers in your church, your small group, your community, your country, and the world are no longer strangers they are your 2nd birth family and your spiritual brothers and sisters. All believers are part of one family and one Church, possessed by one Spirit, with one father in Heaven over us all (Ephesians 4:4-6). Their is no partiality or dissension in this family, everyone has sacred worth, and everyone loves one another as Christ loves us.

This new identity also changes how we see non-believers and our enemies. As Children of God, we share the same compassion and love for them that our Heavenly Father has for them. We will leave the ninety nine in the fold to go after the one lost in the world.

Unfortunately, this is not always the case among the Family of God. Why is that? I think the answer is in verse 3, “And everyone who has this hope fixed on Him (Jesus) purifies himself just as He is pure.” The reason we don’t live like the one we have believed and placed our hope in is that we are stuck in the first part of the Gospel (salvation). We have not matured spiritually. We are still infants or children needing milk. There is jealousy and dissension among us and we are tossed to and fro by the whims of the world. We have leaders of our own choosing, who will tickle our ears rather than tell us the truth. We have no Holy Discontent; we have not been broken (humbled) by God; we have not fully surrender and submitted our life to Him. We have not pursued the holiness and purity of God (sanctification). Lord help us believe and repent!