Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

September 25, 2021 at 4:33 pm

Matthew 11:28-30-The Yoke of Freedom

For me, the imagery of a “yoke” implies a burden to bear involuntarily (shackled). It is not a symbol Freedom, but of slavery. In a Christian context it can become my Cross to bear, which is a misunderstanding of what Jesus meant when He said pick up your cross and follow me. This imagery definitely rubs me wrong.

Jesus clarifies in today’s Text and in many other places that life in the Kingdom is not a heavy burden (yoke) to be endured, but an unimaginable joy to be embraced. In that sense His yoke is light, but the Yoke of Freedom is not easy and it comes with a cost, death to individualism and isolation.

As far as the distinction between freedom and isolation, I understand that to mean that real freedom is not isolation from God and others, but relationship. Isolation from God and others is really imprisonment. It is bondage to self. It also occurs to me that this is what happens when we isolate ourselves as the church. We become a Holy Huddle at best and a cult at worst. Relationships with God and others is the Yoke (way) of Freedom.