Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

September 26, 2021 at 7:03 am

Luke 1:46-55 – let it be!

This Text is commonly referred to as the “Magnificat.” It follows Mary’s powerful declaration of surrender and submission in verse 18, “may it be done to me according to your word.” It states a common meta theme of God’s love, mercy, and justice for the poor and the oppressed; and harsh judgment for the proud, the rulers, the elite and the rich.

Matt makes the sobering point that the same God that resided in Mary’s womb now resides in us. Therefore, love, mercy, and justice in the world has to flow out of us. It makes his question, “How is Jesus upending the status quo in your community?” very personal and challenging.

My first thought was that He is not because we are not. In my opinion, the church in America has lost its saltiness and is no longer the light of the world. Upon further reflection, I realized that there are notable exceptions and that the Church has done a lot to upend the status quo. In fact, most all of the good in the World is a result of the Church, God’s instrument of reconciliation, in the World.

However, proportionally I still believe we do very little to upend the status quo in our communities. When I look at the percentage of people who claim to be Christ Bearers and the number of churches in our community, we could and should be doing a lot more. Why is that the case you ask?

My answer is that it is a failure to make faithful disciples. We are too busy planting and building churches, and providing religious goods and services to religious consumers to focus on deep accountable discipleship and we are afraid if we raise our expectations for accountable discipleship they will go somewhere else. Our focus is inward rather than outward. Lord, may it be done to me according to your word!