Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

October 4, 2021 at 7:47 am

Hebrews 3:13 (Encourage One Another Part 3)

Ok, now we are beginning to get at the root cause of sin and the human condition, a hardened heart. JD says, “This is how sin deceives us. We mistakenly focus on sin at the level of our behaviors when they are merely the symptoms of the sickness. Sin, in its deepest essence, is the condition of an unbelieving heart and an unbelieving or untrusting heart inevitably becomes a hardened heart. And a hardened heart is the most dangerous place on earth.”

I couldn’t agree more. I see this happening everywhere and I am keenly aware of my own heart and love for others growing cold (Matthew 24:12). I sense that we are deceiving ourselves. I find this very upsetting.

Maybe our approach to “Encourage One Another” needs to change. Maybe, I need to focus more on encouraging those I don’t agree with rather than preaching to the choir. I hear myself saying this, but I fear that my encouragement might be misconstrued as agreement or even condoning sin.

The ideological and political divisions we have today in America are between good and evil in my Biblical mind. There is no common ground between these two belief systems. How can I encourage those who have hardened their hearts and promote sin? How can I encourage the women who says, I have a constitutional right to kill my baby? Or the person who says I have a right to select my gender and if you don’t agree and support that point of view there is no love of God in you. I feel like crying out, I need some encouragement! If you have some, please share it.

I sense from the Holy Spirit that what I need to encourage in others is belief and trust in God and His Word. It is the only thing that works. It has worked before (Meribah), it is working today, if you will look for it, and it will work forevermore when Jesus comes again.