Home Forums My Family Band Discussion Reply To: My Family Band Discussion

• David

October 12, 2021 at 5:54 am

Revolution begins with Reform at the Home Office – Judges 6:20-24

The Lord’s command given to Gideon and Peter’s declaration, “For it is time for judgment to begin with the household of God” (1 Peter 4:17a), opens up another issue in our quest for reform (a Great Awakening) and becoming more like Christ for the sake of others. We have to clean (reform) our hearts, our homes, and our churches of leaven ( idols and idolatry). We must pray Psalm 139, listen to what God says and then do something about it if we expect God’s favor and to be used for His purposes.

Where are our alters to Baal? I will start with my own household. For the most part, I have swept my home clean and torn down any obvious alters to Baal. We don’t allow certain TV programs or movies to be watched, we don’t allow the behaviors Peter mentions in chapter four to occur in our home. We have dedicated our home to God and symbols of our faith are very visible. Prayer and worship is openly practiced in our home. I have prayed Psalm 139 many times and I try to confess and allow God to cleanse my heart when something surfaces. The area that we have to guard against the most is consumerism and materialism. We do this by Tithing, putting God and the things of the Kingdom first, and through the practice of radical generosity. Pursuit of the “American Dream” and pleasure may be the biggest Asherah Pole in our modern affluent Christian households.

Where I believe we have the most work to do is in our churches. We have allowed too much of the world’s culture to infiltrate our churches in the name of being “seeker friendly” and causing no offense to anyone. This is a slippery slope because attempts to clean house in the past have resulted in closed doors, legalism, judgment and condemnation. Our churches should be hospitals that are fully open to the broken and sick that are seeking to be set free from the bondage of sin. The key is repentance and not accepting and condoning sin (idolatry) in the church. Love the sinner, but denounce the sin.